You can easily customize the trading platform using various settings. Go to the Tools menu or press combination of "Ctrl+O" to open it. Then click " Options".
- Server — settings for server connection, proxy server configuration, as well as other required settings;
- Charts — help set price charts and parameters to manage objects: to choose an object immediately after creation, configure objects, as well as set docking parameters;
- Trade — helps open new orders, select a financial tool, define a number of lots, set deviation, as well as place stop orders;
- Expert Advisors — common settings used to disable Expert Advisors' operation, enable importing functions from Expert Advisors and external DLL libraries, and other features;
- Events — notifications about various system events, including lost connection, coming newsletters, and others;
- Notifications — the configuration of push notifications that the trading platform sends to mobile devices;
- Email — allows setting email parameters to send messages from the trading platform;
- FTP — allows setting parameters to publish reports on the Internet. Users can save and automatically publish reports about the account state on a real-time basis. For this purpose, they should configure the FTP based connection that is located in this tab;
- Community — information about MQL5. community account;
- Signals — the trading platform allows users to set the Signals service.
There are the most important settings in this tab. Don't change any parameters without a special need. Otherwise, the trading platform won’t be able to operate properly.
- Server — he name of the server the trading platform connects to. When the program is installed, this field will be filled in. Nevertheless, if the user wishes to change the server he/she should enter the domain name or IP address of the server and the number of the connection port separated by a colon. For example, 192.168.0.1:443. This data will be saved on the user’s computer and take effect only when the user tries to open a new account. The address of the new server will be added to the list of servers. users will be able to select the server when they register the account;
- Certificate — this option shows the certificate details . This certificate is required to pass the authentication on the trade server. The appropriate button appears only when the extended authentication mode is applied on the server;
- Login — an account opened by the user on the trade server. The account connects to the server when the user runs the platform;
- Password — an account password needed to get connected to the trade server;
- Change — change the account password;
- Enable proxy server — this option allows the user to apply a proxy server to get connected to the trade server. When this option is enabled, button "Proxy ..." switches on;
- Proxy — this option allows setting connection via a proxy server;
- Keep personal settings and data at startup — this option allows the user to save the details of his/her account (number, main and investor passwords) on the hard disk when the user creates the account. When the platform is run next time, the platform will automatically use this data. If this option is disabled, the user should enter the details manually every time he/she runs the platform. It is possible to enable this option only by specifying the current account in the "Login" field;
- Enable news — user can enable or disable news using this option When the option is disabled, the user won’t receive the news;
- News languages — users can filter the news by their native language. To select the news language, the user should click "Edit" button. The news language will be selected automatically in line with the platform UI language when the "Auto-Select" is set. If the platform language is unavailable for the news, English will be used to display the articles.
Don’t change the server connection settings without the special need.
When the user wants to change the account password he/she should press the "Edit" button. Then the following window will appear:
- Login — account number. It’s impossible to change this field;
- Current password — user needs to enter the master password to this field;
- Change master password — this option allows the user to change the master password;
- Change investor password — his option allows the user to change the investor password;
- New password — a new password should be entered into this field;
- Confirm — a new password should be entered into this field once again to confirm it.
When the user enters all details, he/she should press the "OK" button.
It’s impossible to change the password if the current password is not entered.
Proxy Server Setup
A proxy server connects users’ computers with the trade server. Internet providers or local networks mainly use the proxy server. In case of any connection troubles, users should contact their system administrator or ISP. When the proxy server is used, it is necessary to configure the trading platform. The proxy server support is enabled by the "Enable proxy server" option. The "Proxy..." button becomes active in this case.
- Server — the IP address and server port number separated by a colon should be entered into this field. The type of proxy server should also be selected: HTTP, SOCKS4 or SOCKS5. In HTTP mode, NTLM authentication is supported;
- Login — it is used to get access to the proxy server. If login is not required, this field should be left blank;
- Password — a password is required to get access to the proxy server. If a password is not required, this field should be left blank.
- Test — by clicking this button, users can check the proxy settings. If the settings are incorrect, the appropriate message will appear when the user presses on the “Test” button.
A user can get the proxy setup details by asking his/her system administrator or internet provider.
News Language Selection
To select the language of incoming news, he/she should press on the "Edit" button next to the appropriate field to set the language of the news.
The list of available languages is located on the left. The selected languages are listed on the right. To add the language, the user should double-click on it on the left or choose the required language and press on the "Add" button. To remove the language, the user should click "Remove". By clicking "Reset" user sets the default parameters.
This tab contains the price chart and history settings. If the user changes the parameters here, it won’t have a considerable effect on the trading platform operation.
This tab allows users to set various objects of the price charts. There are technical, and custom, parameters, including a wide number of graphical objects. These parameters allow users to smoothly work with the graphical objects.
- Color print — Enabling this option, users can print color charts instead of black and white ones. However, their printer should support colored printing.
- Show trade levels — By enabling this option, it will display price levels, at which the pending orders were placed or the position was opened. Users can display Stop Loss and Take Profit levels, too. The platform allows users to display the trade levels for each chart separately.
- Disable dragging of trade levels — This option doesn’t allow users to drag pending and stop orders on the chart.
- Enable dragging of trade levels — This option allows users to drag pending and stop orders on the chart.
- Enable dragging of trade levels with "Alt" keyThis option allows users to manage pending ordersand stop levels on the chart. When this option is disabled, users can move the orders and stop levels with a mouse (drag'n'drop). If the chart contains several objects, the user can accidentally move one of these objects instead of the level. To avoid this situation, it’s better to enable this option. In this case, users will be able to drag the trade levels with their mouse, but won’t need to hold the "Alt" key anymore.
- Show object properties after creation — Particular properties are assigned to each object. For example, the period of the signal line of the indicator or color and thickness of the trend line, and others. It’s usually enough to apply standard settings, but some traders would like to customize the graphical objects. When they make appropriate settings, the window of properties of graphical objects and indicators will open automatically.
- Select objects by single mouse click — Single- or double-clicking displays the graphical objects. Enabling this option, users will be able to select the graphical objects by a single click. Otherwise, the graphical objects will be selected by a double click.
- Precise time scale — By enabling this option, users will be able to position the objects at any point between bars. Otherwise, the objects will be connected to the bars along the chart’s horizontal scale.
- Select objects after creation — Users should position the objects on the chart manually if they want to move them. They should select the object to move it. By enabling this option, they can do it automatically when the object is placed on the chart.
- Magnet sensitivity — This option allows users to locate the graphical objects more accurately by “docking” their anchor points to various bar prices. For this purpose, users should define the sensitivity in pixels in the "Magnet sensitivity" field. For example, if the user defines the value of 10, the platform will automatically dock the graphical object to the price bar if the anchor point of the object is placed within a distance of 10 pips from the closest bar price (OHLC). Moreover, this point will be located within the bar width. If the user wants to disable this option, he/she should set this parameter to 0.
- When the object is applied on the chart with the timeframe other than M1, the following magnet features will be shown:
- If the object’s point is anchored to one of the extreme price (OHLC), the specific minute will be determined, where the extremum was recorded. The object’s points are tied to that minute, and it will be added to the timeframe. In this case, users will be able to properly position the objects if they switch them between timeframes.
- If users enable the "Precise time scale" option, the anchor point will move away from the extreme point. It is possible to observe this behavior when the actual extreme point doesn't comply with the bar’s extreme point.
- Max. bars in chart — The chart cannot contain an unlimited number of bars due to the hard disk space where these bars are stored. That’s why there is a difference between the bars shown in the charts and those kept in history.
To solve this issue, users should set the volume of data put on the charts. In order to do so that, the user should select an appropriate value from the pop-up list or enter the value manually in the required field (minimum value is 5000). Then it is necessary to restart the platform.
To make calculations more efficient, the system won’t delete old bars from the data cache when the new ones are added. This allows the indicators to take more bars than included in the "Max bars in chart" parameter.
To make the new settings effective, the user should press the “OK” button and restart the platform.
Users can make settings for opening orders in this tab.
- The tab has the following parameters to opening orders.
- Symbol — Users can select a symbol that will automatically join the position opening window. The "Automatic" parameter allows setting the active chart symbol while the "Last used" parameter sets the latest trade operation symbol. If the user chooses the "Default" parameter, it’s possible to define a particular financial instrument to set it for all positions.
- Volume — Users can add a particular volume in the position opening window, the quick trading panel on the chart, as well as a trading panel in Market Watch. By choosing the "Last Used" parameter, the user selects the previous operation volume. By choosing the "Default" parameter, the trader set a particular volume for all positions.
- Deviation — When the order is being created, the price may change. In this case, the market price and those of the opened order will differ from each other, which doesn’t allow opening the position. The "Use Deviation" parameter helps the user to avoid this situation. When the "Default" parameter is enabled, users can specify the maximum acceptable price deviation from the value stated in the order. When the prices are different, the platform changes the order and opens a new position. If the "Last Used" parameter is on, the deviation value of the previously opened position will appear in the order opening window.
- Stop levels — levels, when he/she places orders or modifies positions. To define the certain price level for stop levels, users should use the "in prices" variant. If the a trader chooses the "in points" variant, he/she will define the stop levels in the number of points from the order placing price.
- Oneclick trading — This option is available only if users accept special terms and conditions. When the one-click trading option is enabled, users can make trading operations just in one click. Additional confirmation is not required. In this case, the trade dialog. won’t be displayed. The one-click trading option can be selected in the following parts of the platform:
- Show realtime history of deals on the chart — This option allows users to see all performed deals. They automatically appear on the chart when pressing on the corresponding symbols with the icons (a Buy deal) and (a Sell deal). By pointing the mouse cursor to the appropriate icon, users will see a tooltip with all necessary data: ticket, volume, deal type, open price, symbol, etc.
Terms and Conditions for Using One-Click Trading
When traders select the "Oneclick trading" option for the first time, they will see the Terms and Conditions for using this parameter.
When the user accepts the terms and conditions, he/she should check "I Accept these Terms and Conditions" and press on the "OK" button. If the the user does not accept the terms and conditions, he/she should click "Cancel" and do not make use of the "One- Click Trading" option.
This tab contains the settings for Expert Advisors, the applications created in the MetaQuotes Language 5. These applications help users automate the trading and analytical processes. The section How can I create anand Expert Advisor or an Indicator contains information on how to create and use Expert Advisors.
- Allow Auto Trading — Traders can use Expert Advisors and scripts during the trading processes. When this function is off, Expert Advisors and scripts do operate but cannot trade. This mode allows users to test the analytical features of Expert Advisors on a real-time basis. The “Allow Auto Trading” parameter controls the automated trading for the whole trading platform. When it is disabled, the Expert Advisor won’t be able to trade in spite of the fact that users turn on the automated trading in the Expert Advisor settings. When the parameter is on, the Expert Advisors will be able to trade, unless the user individually disables the automated trading in the Expert Advisor parameters.
- Disable automated trading when switching accounts — This option allows users to disable trading by Expert Advisors and scripts when changing the account. This function can be useful when traders switch between the demo account and the real one.
- Disable automated trading when switching profiles — This option allows users to disable the trading by Expert Advisors when they change the profile, which stores data about the added Expert Advisors.
- Disable automated trading when switching chart symbols or period — By enabling this option, users forbid the added Expert Advisors to trade when the chart period or symbol changes.
- Allow DLL imports (potentially dangerous, enable only for trusted applications) mql5 applications use DLLs to expand the functionality. This option helps users set a default value for the "Allow DLL imports" parameter that is used when applications are started. If traders use unknown Expert Advisors, it’s better to disable import.
- Allow WebRequest for listed URL — the WebRequest() is used to receive and send data websites using GET and POST requests. To send these requests, users should turn on this option and manually add the URLs of trusted websites. This option is off by default for the security reasons.
To remove the URL from the trusted list, users should choose and click "Delete".
This tab allows setting the alerts of system events (for example, email notifications, server connection and disconnection, and many more). To set up the alerts, users should select the "Allow" option.
- Connect — successful server connection;
- Disconnect — lost server connection;
- Email Notify — email received;
- Timeout — users should perform the trading operation within a particular time range. When it is expired, the platform will emit an appropriate signal;
- Ok — trade operation is successfully performed;
- News — newsletter received;
- Expert Advisor — trade operation is performed by the Expert Advisor;
- Alert — Alert() function performed by the Expert Advisor;
- Requote — price changed (requote) when the user is performing the trade operation;
- Trailing Stop — trailing stop order triggered.
- Testing Finished — testing or optimization is finished.
To turn off the alert, the user should click once on the appropriate icon or double-click on its name. The following icon will appear — . To enable the alert, the user should repeat the same actions.
To change the sound, the user should double-click on the icon name or select it and click "Enter". Then the user should select "Choose other" from the drop-down list and choose the required file.
By default, the platform offers using a file with *.wav extension. Nevertheless, users can choose another file. If the user selects *.wav file, it will be played when the alert activates. If the user selects another file, it will be opened using the application it is associated within the operating system.
The trading platform sends push notifications to iOS and Android mobile devices. The push notifications consist of up to 255 characters. They cannot be lost and are sent immediately. The trading platform uses two ways to send such notifications:
Through an MQL5 application
MQL5 applications send messages to the MetaQuotes ID defined in the platform settings through the SendNotification function.
Through the alerts function
The platform creates alerts to inform traders about market events. To set up this function, users should go to the Alerts tab of the Toolbox window. Users can choose push notifications as a type of the event notifications.
- The trading platform also use the push notifications to inform about the updates on the MQL5.community site. If the user wants to enable this function, he/she needs to specify his/her MetaQuotes ID in the profile located in the "Security" tab.
- There is a limited number of messages that the platform can send: at most 1 message per 0.5 seconds and at most 10 messages per minute.
- Enable Push notifications — switch it on to allow the trading platform to send notifications.
- Notify of trade transactions — the trading platform can automatically send notifications of all successful trading operations to the stated MetaQuotes ID. The trading platform can also send the following notifications:
- balance operations
- Margin Call state, etc.
The platform won’t notify of unsuccessful operations (for example, when the order is rejected because of incorrect parameters). Users can enter up to 4 MetaQuotes IDs separated by commas. The notifications will be sent to all devices.
MetaQuotes ID can be found in the Settings section of the mobile version of the trading platform. Go to the Settings section and choose Messages.
If the user wants to test how the push notifications are delivered, the user should press on the "Test" button. The appropriate message will appear when the push is successfully sent. Then the mobile device will receive the notification.
This tab provides the following email settings:
- Enable — mailbox enabling/disabling. If this option is off, it’s impossible to make all other settings;
- SMTP server — Emails are sent through this server. The following format must be used to make a record: "[server web address] : [port number]". For example, "smtp.mail.ru:25", "smtp.gmail.com:465" etc.
- SMTP login — this login is used to pass the authentication on the mail server. It is usually an email address, for instance, "firstname.lastname@example.org";
- SMTP password — this password is needed to pass the authentication on the mail server (user’s mailbox password);
- From —the email address, from which the message is sent. User should specify the name and address of the email account on the same mail server, the SMTP-protocol of which he/she will use. It’s possible to miss the name. For example, "your_name, email@example.com";
- To — the email address, to which the messages are sent. Users should enter the name and address, but it is possible to omit the name. For example, "any_name, firstname.lastname@example.org".
- The fields "From" and "To" can be filled in only with one email address.
- The email password will be encrypted.
To check the settings, the user should press on the "Test" button to send a test inquiry Then the user should click "OK" to apply the settings if the test message is successfully sent. If the test message is not sent, users should check the settings, restart the trading platform, and send the test message again.
Users can publish reports on the state of their account and its history. For this purpose, they should set up the internet connection parameters through FTP.
- The tab contains the following parameters:
- FTP server — address of the FTP server where the report will be stored. For example, ftp.company.com;
- FTP path — path to a directory on the FTP server where the reports will be stored. For example, /inetpub/statements;
- FTP login — log in using which users will authorize on the FTP server;
- FTP password — password using which users will authorize on the FTP server;
- Passive mode — The trading platform uses active and passive modes. When the active mode is on, the platform accepts connection from the FTP server. When the passive mode is on, the server accepts connection from the platform;
- Test — This option allows sending a test report on the active account. The test result will be displayed in the separate window;
- Enable automatic publishing of reports via FTP — This option allows enabling/disabling report publishing. If this option is disabled, the other fields will be unavailable;
- Account — This option allows users to choose the account for which they want to publish the reports. They should connect to this account to publish the required reports;
- Refresh every — This option allows users to set up the periodicity at which the reports will be sent to the web server (in minutes).
- To publish the reports, the account should be active. The report won’t be published if the account number entered in the tab does not correspond to the current one.
- In the active mode, the platform uses the free port (from a dynamic range of 1024 to 65535). The server connects to this port to set the connection to transfer the data. The FTP server connects to the user’s port with the given number using TCP port 20 from its part for data transmission. In the passive mode, the server notifies the user of the TCP port number (from the dynamic range of 1024 to 65535) to which user can connect to transfer data.
- Report templates can be found in the / Templates folder of the trading platform.
- The Market — users can purchase any ready-made application from the MQL5 application store. A trial version can be downloaded and tested in the strategy tester.
- MQL5 Cloud Network is a powerful distributed computing network that allows users to test and set up Expert Advisors in the Strategy Tester. Users can perform thousands of optimization sessions just in several minutes. Besides, users can earn a profit.
- MQL5 Storage — This storage allows users to keep source codes integrated into the MetaEditor. Users can manage the MQL5 Storage from any corner of the world.
- Freelance — If the Code Base or Market don’t have the required application, it is possible to order it in the Freelance section of MQL5.community website.
- Code Base — users can download any code added to the Code Base of MQL5.community website. Go to the Navigator window to start the application.
- MQL5 Charts — This service allows users to make the screenshots from the trading platform online and share them in various social networks.
- Signals — There are trading signals created by the professional traders.
- Login — MQL5.community account.
- Password — a password to the specified account.
- The password is encrypted and stored on the hard drive.
- To obtain different unique opportunities and join the MQL5.community, users should register.
If the user clicks register, he/she will see the window to register on MQL5.community.
It’s required to enter the account username and e-mail. After pressing on the "Register" button, the account will be created. The account password will be sent to the specified email address.
This tab offers users to set up the Signals service that allows then to become a provider. Providers can sell trading signals, subscribe to them, or act as an experienced trader. Everyone can subscribe to the signals of another experienced trader (Provider) in order to copy his/her trading operations.
When a user subscribes to any signal, the name of this signal will appear at the top of the tab. It will be impossible to edit the settings if there are no subscriptions.
- Enable realtime signal subscription — This function allows users to subscribe to the signals and use them.
- Copy Stop Loss and Take Profit levels — This option allows users to add Stop Loss and Take Profit to their trading accounts. Brokers execute these orders, which means that these orders will be executed no matter the trading platform is on or off. Note that the provider and subscriber can work with different brokers. When the user copies the stop orders, the position will be closed when the stated loss and profit levels are reached.
- Synchronize positions without confirmations — This option allows users to synchronize the trading state of the Subscriber's and Provider's accounts without additional confirmation.
If the Subscriber's account contains any non-signal positions or pending orders (opened by the Expert Advisor or manually) when the synchronization is started, the trading platform will offer to delete the orders and close the positions. If the Provider’s account contains floating (unfixed) profit when the synchronization is started initially, the platform will offer to wait for better conditions to copy the signals. In any case, the synchronization and copying process will be interrupted and resumed only when a user takes an appropriate decision by pressing on the required button.
If the trading platform operates 24/7, the confirmation requests can be left unanswered. When this option is on, there is no need to confirm the synchronization.
- The custom positions and orders will not be removed from the account when the platform copies the Provider's trades.
- If there is a floating profit on the Provider's account, the trading platform will immediately copy the signals without waiting for better conditions.
- Use no more than [A] % — deposit in percentage terms that the user should have to copy the Provider's signals. For example, if a user has $10,000 and specifies 90%, he/she can spend $9,000 to copy the signals. The detailed information on how to calculate the volume of deals performed when using the signals is provided in the "Signal Subscribers" section. It is better not to change the deposit load when the positions according to the signal are opened. Otherwise, the volume of the open positions will change.
- Stop if equity is less than [B] — This option allows users to limit losses when they apply the trading signals. For example, when equity falls below the stated level, the trade signals won’t be copied and the positions will be closed. If 0 is set, there are no limitations.
- Deviation/Slippage [C] spreads — This option allows users to specify the permissible deviation of the order price from the price initially requested by the trading platform when it copies the trading operation.
The order will be executed when the deviation is less or equal to the stated parameter. If the price deviation is greater than the stated value, the trading operation will be canceled. It will be possible to start the next trading operation after a while.